Friday, June 28, 2013

French Country Hutch Makeover

I've had this piece for a while now, but thought it would be another good one to show-off :)  I bought this hutch on Craigslist for $50.  I use it as craft storage, although it sits right next to our dining room table so I might find a different use for it (once I can find something else to store my crafts in!).  


Supplies:
Orbital sander
150-220 grit sand paper
Black spray paint, gloss finish
Tools for distressing!  (I used a hard blade putty knife)
Screwdriver
Tack cloth

Step 1: Remove all drawers, doors, and hardware (you will need a screwdriver for this). 

Step 2: Start prepping the surface.  I used my orbital sander with 220 grit sandpaper.  I did quite a bit of sanding on this piece, as I wanted the end result to look really smooth with no grain showing through. 


Step 3: Use the tack cloth to remove the sawdust.

Step 4: Start sprayin'!  I used 4 cans of spray paint since I sprayed the entire inside as well. 


Step 5: I decided not to protect this piece, which I may end up regretting.  I may use a wax here shortly to give it some sort of protection.  Depending on the look you want to achieve or how your piece is going to be used, you may want to put a coat or two of poly on. 

Step 6: Alright, the next step is the fun part.  DISTRESSING!  I used a hard blade putty knife to rough up the edges. 

Step 7: Okay, so I'm a bit spoiled and have a powder coater in the family.  I had Tommy's Dad powdercoat the hardware white (including the hinges since they are exposed).  I think it looks pretty neat! 

 
~Sunny

No comments:

Post a Comment