Sunday, June 23, 2013

Repurposed Pub Table

Whew!  What a weekend.  I have been working on several projects, but this one I'm really excited about! 


I decided to purchase this pub table and chair set on Craigslist for $50.  The table had a laminate top liquid nailed to the original surface, so what you see in the photo below is the residue from the wood glue.

 

The first thing I did was chip off as much of the glue as I could.  I used a hammer and a hard blade putty knife. 

Next, I used an orbital sander to sand the surface of the table.  Since my plan was to put a new table top over the original surface, I wanted to be sure to get it as flat as possible so the new top would adhere well. 

While the sander was out, I decided to sand and prep the chairs for spray paint, using 220-grit sand paper.  But first, I removed the cushions from the chairs. 

 

Next, I measured the table top.  It measured 22 x 42.  Knowing these measurements, I went to Home Depot and purchased three 10 foot 1"x4" common boards (which are really .75"x3"- learned this the hard way- but I won't go there!).  I had them cut these into seven 44" pieces.  My goal was to have the boards hang off the original surface about an inch on all sides.  While at HD, I also purchased Wood Glue.  You will need this in order to adhere the boards to your table top. 

When I got home, I decided to spray the base of the table and chairs a glossy black before gluing the boards to the table top. 

Next, I glued the boards down.  I also screwed the boards to the table underneath, in order to make sure they were secure. 

 
Now, it was time to stain.  I first used Minwax Sedona Red.  I decided to layer colors, so the next color I used was Walnut.


In order to seal the stain and make the surface durable, I applied 3 coats of polyurethane.

 
 
I will post pictures of the chairs once I reupholster them!

No comments:

Post a Comment